Oh, boy. So far, this is one of my worst years for staying on target. I’m still hoping to make a big push and win, but things are going to have to get better. Fast. I’ve had some unexpected work issues and had to make a trip out of town. The lousy weather isn’t helping. It’s been raining for two weeks, it’s cold, and I’m in a funk. Blech. I just keep reminding myself that it’s all in good fun.
Avenging Fate: 5,700 words
Idea that has no title but which will not leave my head: 3,200.
I’m about 9,400 words off the pace of where I need to be. That’s not good, but experience tells me that I can make a big push and catch up, if everything starts to go right. Go team!
Happy Video of The Week
Since everybody needs a pick me up (and an imagination booster) during NaNo, here’s another happy video for you to waste some time with. I love Pixar and would give my left arm if I could have that amount of imagination plus the ability to translate it into a form that people enjoy that much.
Another Big Distraction…
The promotional bookmarks for Broken Fate arrived this week. I’m supposed to sign some and send them back to the publisher to give away, but I’m stumped on how to do that since they’re so dark. Maybe sign along the blades? At any rate, this is a lot of bookmarks!
Music in Rotation This Week:
- Budapest, by George Ezra. This is such a quirky and happy little song. I heard it while we were having lunch at Dairy Queen (don’t judge) and immediately wrote down some of the lyrics so I could look it up when we got home.
- The World is Ours, by Aloe Blacc. ESPN was playing the heck out of this one during their NYC Marathon coverage. Loved it, had to have it.
- Hello, by Adele. This is off her new album, 25. Can’t wait for the release on Nov. 20th.
- Running Up That Hill, by Kate Bush. I keep this one on repeat in the background. It’s hypnotic and lulls me into my writing trance. (I got my copy off the soundtrack from the 2012 Olympics Closing Ceremony.)
- Soundtracks from First Knight, Miss Potter, and Braveheart. All nicely fade into the background, but are good for writing romance and adventure.
When Not NaNo’ing…
Some of the activities I’m engaging in to keep my creativity and energy levels up.
- Watching movies. Watched The Maze Runner this week. I haven’t read the books, but as soon as NaNo is over, they’re going to the top of my list. And I watched Inside Out again. The Anger character is my hero. I feel like this more often than I care to admit:
- Reading. I’m not willing to give this up no matter how far behind I get! You can check out my weekly reading lists for more on that.
- Playing board games. Still playing games and my newest hit is Elysium. When you write books based on Greek Mythology, this one is a must have.
- Exercise. Yeah, I’m still trying to keep up with that but between the constant rain, some travel, and just general busyness, I’m failing miserably.
Snacks on standby:
- Leftover Halloween candy. I’m still working on this. Really should give it away instead of eating it all…
- Diet Mountain Dew. Diet soda is my vice and I’ve decided to give up the pretense that I like anything but Diet Mountain Dew. Went to WalMart and bought two 24 packs and gave all my Diet Pepsi to my neighbor.
- Yoplait yogurt. About once a year I go on a yogurt binge. No idea why. This year it seems to have coincided with NaNo so I’m plowing through almost every flavor they have. (Regular, full fat versions. I can’t stand the Greek or “light” versions.)
(Photo courtesy of Unsplash)